Missing teeth can reduce the aesthetic value of your smile, which can hurt your self-confidence. However, you can replace missing teeth with dental implants. Dental implants are so effective that people may fail to notice you don’t have a real tooth. The procedure of placing an implant can be simple or complex depending on the health of your teeth. If you are wondering if dental implants are safe, Lovett Dental Gulfgate will help you understand how dental implants work. Contact us today at 713-847-8822 for more information.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
During the surgery, your dentist will place the implant in the jawbone. Over time, the titanium implant fuses with the jawbone. As a result, the titanium will function as the root of the missing tooth. Your dentist will place a crown over the top of the implant to restore your tooth to full functionality.
Risks from Dental Implants
Many people get dental implants every year, and this common procedure is incredibly safe. In most cases, the surgeries are very successful. However, some risks that you could potentially encounter as a result of the surgery include:
- Developing an infection at the site of the implant
- Nerve damage, which can result in numbness or extreme pain to the remaining teeth. The damage can also affect your lips, gums, or even the chin
- Damage to the blood vessels and teeth that are close to the site of the implant
- When the implant is on the upper jaw, it can protrude into one of the sinus cavities, which can cause sinus problems
The risks of dental implants are very low. Seeking the services of an accredited dental facility puts you in a better position to avoid the risks.
Safety of Dental Implants
Generally, it is safe for people to get dental implants. The natural materials for making the implants do not pose any threat to oral health. Aside from that, the following factors contribute to the safety of the implants:
- Complete fusion – The titanium base of the implant fuses completely with a person’s jawbone. This fusion prevents cases of the implant slipping. It also ensures that the risk of bone damage is very low. Lastly, dental implants do not make noise because of this fusion.
- No decays – Teeth that support regular bridgework can decay, but this is not the case for dental implants. The materials used for making the implant are decay-proof, and the titanium that fuses with the jawbone is rust-proof as well.
- Additional support from an abutment – Dentists attach an abutment to the post once the titanium fuses with the jawbone. This abutment, which is a connector, secures and holds the artificial tooth in position. Because of this, the patient will not have any difficulty eating.
Treatment at Lovett Dental Gulfgate
Lovett Dental Gulfgate provides an assortment of dental treatment services. Our programs fall into three distinct categories: general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, and pediatric dentistry services. We also accept insurance payment services from a variety of companies.
Some of the services we offer include:
- Dental implants – These can help you replace missing teeth
- Cleanings and exams – During a regular cleaning, your dentist will check for gum disease, oral cancer, and tooth decay
- Help with dental anxiety – Our staff is trained in helping patients overcome dentophobia
- Snap-on overdentures – These are similar to normal dentures, but they offer more stability and comfort
Contact Lovett Dental Gulfgate
The safety of dental implants is dependent on the efficiency of surgery to install them. That is why it is advisable to only contact licensed facilities for dental implant services. Dental implants will enable you to eat and talk normally despite losing some teeth. If you need dental implants, contact Lovett Dental Gulfgate at 713-847-8822 today, and we’ll help you achieve a confident smile.